Many businesses jump on the social bandwagon without considering the community they are there to serve. They are excited to tell the world the fabulous products and services they offer. The books and webinars people can purchase. It’s all about “ME!”
Social platforms like Facebook and Twitter are not like a company website or brochure. If all people see and hear is “BUY MY CRAP,” or “SIGN UP FOR MY BRILLIANT WEBINAR,” they grow tired quickly and go away. People are OPTING-IN to receive your content, but what content will keep them coming back and sharing it with their friends? Content that is helpful and interesting….to THEM not just to YOU! Here are 7 ideas that can get you started:
- Books that you find interesting and helpful- If you share what you are learning from books and then ask others to share what they are reading, you just might strike up some great conversations.
- Interesting photos you find or take – Be sure they are appropriate and somehow tie back to your topic or area of expertise. People using your products; People at events you attend; your team in action serving others. Fun photos that can tie into something you are posting.
- Products that you have found helpful- When I find great apps or gadgets, I figure if I love them, so will others in my community. What products and services are complimentary to yours that your community members may find useful?
- Relevant news stories that you can comment on from your company’s perspective- How does your business solve similar problems or provide solutions that are different to those in the story?
- Behind the scenes tips- Everyone wants to peek behind the curtain and see how you operate. A hotel can share housekeeping tips. A restaurant can share recipes or table setting information. Let people come a little closer and see something that only fans of your business can see.
- Service projects you and your team are involved with- let others know the organizations you support and why. Who knows, they might want to jump in with you and serve side-by-side.
- Customer generated content- This can be tricky as you may want to post a disclaimer that content must be appropriate and that spamming the community will get the post removed. Some have designated a specific day of the week as FAN SHARING DAY. Ask fans to share their favorite blog or photo or something else that ties into your business and yet encourages the community to share what is on their mind!
What are some other ideas you have seen done well on Facebook Pages? I’d love to hear your creative ideas. AND if you have some tech tips to share, we LOVE to have them on our Gettin’ Geeky Page over on Facebook!
Gina is a speaker, author and the host of SchreckTeck (airs each Tues at 8am PT) and Gettin’ Geeky. She and her team at SynapseConnecting love helping organizations create engagement strategies to connect with their communities. If we can be of any help–we are just a TWEET away! Or you can always call us at 303-978-0887
President & Chief Hooligan at SynapseConnecting
Tags: Brand Management, Facebook, FAN PAGES, Social Media for Business
This post was written by GinaSchreck